[TR] Controversial subject...

ptegler ptegler at verizon.net
Tue Mar 25 17:29:36 MDT 2014

You have to do what is comfortable in your own mind.
In the end it's your car an you have to deal with the results of what ever
decision you make.

This might help, this might make the decision a little harder.... but it's
some general info for everyone I guess.

In my J and D type overdrives in my Triumphs I use the 'book specified'
Castrol 80-90 Hypoy
But in my LH type overdrive in my BGT, I use(d) the book spec'ed 30wt
non-detergent oil.
Non have ever given my any issues over thousands of miles.
.... I personally put nearly 160K miles on the BGT o/d without a hiccup,
that is before the Tremec T-5 5 speed went in behind the V6.
:-)
I've had a d-type go bad, but it was the cone clutch abused by the p.o. with
poor maintenance. After the rebuild and another 20K miles
with nary a glitch of any kind.

I have to assume (and knowing John personally now) his recommendations are
based on his years or experience, and the way he sets up the pump and
pressure relief valving. So as you mentioned, I'd agree...stay with his
recommendations for the warranty period at the minimum.

Paul Tegler
ptegler at verizon.net
www.teglerizer.com