[TR] Stromberg Air valves

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Sun Mar 23 08:36:57 MDT 2014

On 3/22/2014 4:59 PM, Roger Elliott wrote:
> When I originally put them in, one of them caused a big change in the
> air flow. One had about 1/2 the air flow through the carb as the other
> or the original two - so I took them back out.
>
> I have weighed them and discovered they are different weights -one is
> about 119 grams the other 122 grams .  I would guess that explains the
> difference in the air flow.  I am going to reduce the weight of the
> heavier one.
>
> My scale only measures in grams, is that close enough precision?

If I read this correctly, a 2.5% difference in weight causes a 50%
change in air flow.

If that's the case, I don't see how a 1-gram resolution will be enough.
  I've heard of odd reactions when changing valves, but I can't imagine
such a small change in mass would make that large a difference.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

---