[TR] TR250 battery tray

Glenn A. Merrell - TSN StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org
Thu Mar 20 20:21:53 MDT 2014

Hi Folks,

It has been quite a long time since I have posted to the list.

Some of you know that I recently scored a really nice, 2nd owner
original 80k mile, all matching numbers, rust free, running, Triumph
Racing Green TR250.
I was privileged to purchase it from the 2nd owner who lived in
Wyoming,  owned it and garaged it for the past 37 years.  I owned my
first TR250 from 1972 to 1981 until getting T-boned at an intersection
in Kingston NY.

I am wrestling with my options like most  do after buying a classic like
this, so I have a few questions to ask you TR250 aficionados:

After going over every square inch of this prize, all the typical rust
areas - A post, windshield, rear quarter panel seams, rockers,
floorboards, boot floor, everywhere are simply in excellent condition.
I found the only rust on the whole car - a 3" x 6" area under the battery.

1, What is the best repair: make a new panel hammered/rolled/bent to
proper shape or buy one, and who has panels?

I power washed the  preserving grease off the whole undercarriage.
Aftermath: is clean and original metal / paint on the frame, zero rust
except minor surface rust, original factory/dealer undercoat is
unspoiled, original sealant tarbungs in most of the right places. It
needs paint, but no bondo anywhere and a few minor dings on the hood and
doors,

For now, the vinyl and rubber bits are in need of replacement, and I
have all of those bits - dash, interior, suspension bushes, including a
new brake system that was filled with American DOT3 and destroyed the
rubber seals.  It is one of those age old dilemmas, do a rolling
restoration or go for a frame off restoration.

2. Or, leave it as-is and go for the highest offer? Is it possible it is
worth more unrestored than fully restored?

If I do a restoration I will add front and rear swaybars - I had them on
my first 250 and loved them, add the other performance mods to the
engine and driveline.

3. Chrome Wires, Minilites or OE Rostyle caps?

All topics for discussion as I know there are many views and opinions.

--
Glenn Merrell a.k.a. StagByTriumph
TSN Admin
mailto:StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org