[TR] Failing parts? (Rough Running TR4)

Jonas Payne jpaynepbr at cox.net
Thu Mar 20 15:45:19 MDT 2014

These parts are more or less the same ones everybody else sells, and yes,
the quality of some of the parts is suspect.

Make sure to get the "premium" rotor.  The riveted ones are junk.

Buy a coil from your local parts store, I've had too many of the lucas ones
fail.

I buy condensers by the gross.  Seems like about 15% of them are bad out of
the box.

The plastic cam on the points sets wear out quickly, more quickly if your
dist. Is wobbling.

I have never had a cap fail, the one in my XK 150 is probably 15 years old.

A lot of guys have issues with Champion plugs, I never have personally, but
lots of people have.

The wire lead from your dist to the coil can be bad.  The internal ground in
the dist is often hanging by a single strand and the plastic clip at the
edge of the the dist for the wire to the points can go bad.

HT leads do in fact wear out, not sure how, but they do, probably the heat
breaking down the insulation, grab a spray bottle of water, idle the car in
the dark and spray it over the dist.  When these things are over 5 years old
and crusty, it's quite the light show.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711