[TR] Rough Running TR4 - Update

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 20 13:05:39 MDT 2014

---- pbrandsema at triad.rr.com wrote:
> I did notice that the coil to rotor contact, when the cap was off,
> was off center due to the spring load.

That seems suspicious to me.  You might want to try putting the old cap & wires back to see what effect that has.  Having the button out too far would not necessarily be a problem, but it suggests the cap is poorly made and defective new parts are way too common.

> Now I have to determine whether it's the pertronix or the coil.

Easiest way to test both of them is by substitution.  I actually picked up a spare point plate so I could pre-load it with points & condenser to make the change easier.  (And threw the Pertronix back in the bin after discovering that the car ran better with points.)

Randall