[TR] TR4 Motor Mount replacement and potential redesign

Will Daehler will.daehler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 12:27:23 MDT 2014

So my eight year old motor mounts failed after just eight years. Getting
the replacement (TR4A style) ones installed was such a bitch! It was
awkward to line up the studs into the holes, and even more awkward to get
the nuts started. I swore many bad words. And certainly don't want to ever
do that again.

I had time to look at the failure mechanism of the old motor mounts. The
construction consists of an upper metallic piece, a rubber mid-section, and
a lower metallic piece.

It seems like the weight of the engine puts the rubber into sheer, and the
mount tears apart. Looking at the failed mounts from the side, the upper
stud no longer is in line with the lower stud. They are now laterally
offset. Still parallel though.

The improved design (in my head) is to box in the rubber on the two open
sides with more metal. That way the rubber would have to fight harder to
sheer itself to death.
Comments?

Will Daehler
63 TR4 Powder Blue