[TR] Parts suggestions

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 12:55:49 MST 2014

> 1.  I'm rebuilding the transmission in my 1975 TR6, and I'm looking
> for the /correct/ balls and springs for the synchronizers.  I know
> that these are critical to the proper operation of the transmission,
> so I want them to be right.  TRF doesn't have the springs, but
> apparently Moss does.  Any other good choices?

No comment on spring source, but note that you should still check the result and add shims as necessary to raise the detent force.  ISTR that the early springs would work with a couple of extra shims, but I may have misremembered.

> 2.  I figure that a nearly 40 year old coil can't be considered
> reliable in the long run.  Assuming otherwise stock ignition, what's a
> good replacement coil?

So far, I've been pleased with the Pertronix "Flamethrower" coils (which are readily available at my FLAPS as well as the usual suspects).  Of course, the generic $15 coil I got from K-mart worked fine for many years as well, so I doubt that it makes much difference.  As long as you don't use Lucas that is.  The last new Lucas coil I bought only lasted a couple of years before leaving me stranded on the freeway during rush hour.  (Worse yet, I thought it was a condenser failure and walked several miles to come back with new condenser, rotor etc but not a coil.)

Randall