[TR] Read the graph at 50/50 mix

spook01@comcast.net spook01 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 3 10:20:28 MST 2014

Dave,
You're picking nits.
The coolant mixture boiling point is still controlled by the water.  The difference between the boiling point of water alone, and 50/50 mix is what, 12-17 degrees?
The cap adds points to boiling temp by adding pressure, which stresses the systems' components.
"It was good enough for grand sire, it's good enough for me".
I've since found information that the new waterless coolants have heat transfer rates at or near that of water.
The main thing, for me, is the ability to run a zero pressure cooling system. It means components last longer.  In fact, large trucks running the stuff use it for the life of the engine and components seldom break.
I got a note back from a chemical engineer .. sorry I can't attach it, but in essence, a 50/50 mix is not ideal as far as combined vapor pressures.  Water is the most volatile of the mixture, and rather then composing a straight line mix in the vapor, water grossly predominates in the evaporate.  When pressure in the system is released due to pump cavitation in the closed system or suddenly, when you remove the cap, the more volatile component - water - flashes into evaporate and takes the glycol with it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone