[TR] Update: Replacing wiper motor brushes

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 07:48:06 MST 2014

When I disassembled my TR3A wiper motor (to fix a broken red wire) I found
it had been running with only one brush.  The other side was just the brush
holder riding directly against the commutator.

How could this be?  Looking closer I find down in the bottom of the motor
housing an unused brush.  Apparently it fell out during assembly and the
motor had run fine w/o it for 40+ years.

I did install the brush and seem to recall one side had some ridges or
bumps - possibly what is meant by slots.  Given it had done well with no
brush I didn't stress over which way that one went in.