[TR] Shift rod detent plugs

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 17:08:10 MDT 2014

I have found what I believe is an acceptable substitute for the NLA
plug that holds the gearshift selector shaft detent plunger in place.

http://www.imperialsupplies.com/item/0067010

I know that the hole can be tapped and have a plug screwed in.  The
dimensions of that screw plug are not readily available, though I
reckon it would be the same as the height of the old plug.

It seems to me that there's no real difference in what I use.  Both
parts are ultimately held in when the cover is assembled to the
gearbox.

Should I just cut the end off a bolt and slot it for a screwdriver,
and tap the hole?  Or is there some reason that the pressed in plug is
better even if you aren't a manufacturer trying to save time and
money?

Or am I just overthinking things, as usual?