[TR] Brake light woes

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 15:28:00 MDT 2014

> I left the hydraulic switch in place (which has not failed
> despite my using
> DOT5) and added the above switch with a simple metal bracket in the
> footwell operated by pedal arm movement.

FWIW, here's a shot of my bracket & switch on the TR3.
http://tinyurl.com/of5qowk

Someday I'll "restore" that area and clean things up a bit, this was a quick and dirty to get the car on the road in time for TRfest
2009.

> Looking at the TR3A pedal box I think that same switch might
> fit into the
> hole in the front lip of the box to be actuated by the upper
> tip of the
> pedal arm (very similar to a TR4 switch).

Probably not the same switch, but I found one at FLAPS that would fit in that position on my previous TR3A.  However, the TR3 has
pedal stops in those holes (as original), and I didn't really like having the obviously wrong switch hanging out under the hood
anyway.  Hence the above setup (which is invisible unless you crawl under the dash).

> Yeah, I know the usuals carry mechanical switches but I have
> heard mixed
> results with those (esp the white plastic version) whereas this metal
> version has been used by quite a few LBC owners with success.

Again FWIW, the mixed metal/plastic switch shown in the above shot lasted less than 2 years from installation.  I'm currently
running one of the white plastic ones from TRF, and it has been working fine since 2010.

Randall