[TR] Brake light woes

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:16:52 MDT 2014

On the subject of brake light switches... this is the mechanical switch I
added on my other (non-TR) British car:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E5DILY/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

I left the hydraulic switch in place (which has not failed despite my using
DOT5) and added the above switch with a simple metal bracket in the
footwell operated by pedal arm movement.  I had no problems with the
hydraulic switch but do like that the mechanical switch operates the brake
lights with only the slightest pedal movement - which may happen well in
advance of serious braking.

Looking at the TR3A pedal box I think that same switch might fit into the
hole in the front lip of the box to be actuated by the upper tip of the
pedal arm (very similar to a TR4 switch).  Otherwise, an interior bracket
may be needed.

Yeah, I know the usuals carry mechanical switches but I have heard mixed
results with those (esp the white plastic version) whereas this metal
version has been used by quite a few LBC owners with success.

Geo