[TR] Catalytic Converter for TR6?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jun 4 08:59:59 MDT 2014

> A converter will have no affect on CO2. It will convert CO to CO2 I
> think.

Right.  Also HC to H2O + CO2; and NOx to N2 + O2 (if you have a "3-way" catalyst).

> Also, it will get very hot during operation. It will require a heat
> shield of some sort.

In order to achieve the reactions, it also needs free oxygen in the input.  That means your engine has to either run leaner than
normal (so not all the oxygen is consumed by combustion), or you need a air injection system to feed O2 to the converter.

My point being that it isn't just a bolt-on device.

> The best bet is to keep your engine in top tune IMO.

Basically anything that reduces fuel consumption will also lower your "carbon footprint".

Randall