[TR] TR4 and Monza ( the blown gasket saga)

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:27:48 MDT 2014

I know this has been talked about many times, but i can't get into the
archives. Would some of you be willing to share  your degree of
satisfaction with the Monza system that everyone sells for the TR4?  I have
to replace the headers that came with the car as they are badly warped and
not enough thickness to the flange to level off. I've long had an unused 4
in 1 header  from Ebay maybe 15 years ago and thought I'd use that with a
new pipe and muffler,

Interesting about the current exhaust is that the pipe is only 1 5/8" ID,
which always looked a bit small, (although the Monza is only 3/8" larger).
My machine shop guy says that when increasing the flow via a larger pipe
one sacrifices torque to gain revs at higher speeds. A smaller pipe
conversely increases torque, which is what the original owner of this car
would have wanted for his auto-crossing back in the 60's and 70's.  Amazing
what i don;t know.

Anyway, would appreciate any comments, and thanks. Incidentally, best EBay
price is $262 from a commercial seller.

John