[TR] charging problem

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 25 08:58:42 MDT 2014

> Noticed the ignition light still red when key in off psn.
> Engine stopped ok.
>
> Tried restarting, ok but red light stayed on.

That almost sounds like a wiring problem somewhere, like maybe a short near the red light.  But maybe it's just the cutout acting
crazy.

> Took off the generator and hooked + to ground and - to the large
> terminal and it spun like a motor using my camper 12 battery
> downstairs.

That's a popular test, but in my experience it doesn't mean a lot.  I've seen generators that would run like that, and still had
shorted windings, thrown solder, etc.

> I put a new generator on the car and same problem. It started
> to charge
> for a second but then the red light came on again and small
> discharge.

Well, hopefully that's just the control box acting up again.  I wouldn't think it could burn up in just "a second".

> Tested the new generator and it does not spin. I got this on sale a
> number of years ago from TRF.

Might be worth trying again, with the two terminals connected together.  But IMO it would be better to go through the steps in the
booklet.

> Or is my control box toast.

Seems like the most likely explanation, to me.  The unfortunate part is that a failed control box may cause the generator to fail as
well.

> I remember Randal posting something about a manual to test
> the control
> box but I lost it.

http://tinyurl.com/l3ja4wh

Randall