[TR] Strange TR3 OD issue

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 11 18:53:35 MDT 2014

> The only thing I can think of that is common to third and fourth is that they
> use the same lockout switch, but I don't know why it would pop out at a
> particular RPM EVERY time.

Vibration sensitive?

Probably my first step would be to connect a voltmeter/DMM to the OD relay, and take a test ride.  If it shows that the relay drops out when the OD does, you know it's an electrical issue.  Then change the connection so you can see the lockout switch at work.  Again, if it drops out when the OD does, you've found your culprit.

Might not be the switch, but the wires/connections to it.  One of the Stags would drop out for no apparent reason (although it was much more random) and it turned out that the quick connect to the solenoid was very slightly loose.  Not loose enough to fall off, but loose enough to sometimes lose contact.  So, if the above test does show the relay is not being grounded through the lockout switch, the next test might be to remove the tunnel and repeat the experiment with the meter connected directly to the terminals on the switch.

Randall