[TR] Making a Break For It

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Wed Jul 2 14:21:32 MDT 2014

Dear Mr. Daehler

Your message had got a bit scrambled by the time it had crossed the Atlantic
to the UK and I couldn't quite work it out.

Anyway, to the errant spring that tried to run away from you. Firstly, I
hope you found it. Secondly, I do trust you aren't implying it was trying to
return to Coventry via China? Bless my soul, in the days when your car was
made, we had no 'truck' with the oriental gentlemen to whom you refer - or
the stuff they made!!!

Just to set the record straight, in the late 1950's, we even had some
gentlemen from firms called Toyota and Datsun paying visits to see how we
made cars in those very early days of computerised production control and
vehicle/component marshalling, so the right part reached the right car -
most of the time. On those visits, there was a lot of "Ah, so" at what they
saw - mirrored to a degree by a very similar response from a limited number
of production workers who had been in conflict with people of that same
nation some fifteen or so years earlier - in the jungles of Burma and the
Far east. I think I can be confident in saying we never used any component
sourced from such far flung destinations. Generically, it was all known as
'monkey metal' and treated with the contempt it deserved.

I remain, Sir, your obedient servant

Jonmac