[TR] TR3A another wiring question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 17:45:43 MST 2014

---- Alex&Janet Thomson <aljlthomson at charter.net> wrote:
> No! If the fuse blows at night when you are on a corner ...!  Use a self -
> resetting circuit breaker instead.

Unless something else has changed as well, a fuse between the ignition switch and headlight switch would not affect the lights at all if it blew.  The original wiring has a heavy gauge wire that supplies the headlight switch first from the harness, and then a smaller gauge wire that jumpers power from the headlight switch to the ignition switch.

A self-resetting breaker might still be a better idea; but not because it will put the lights out.

I would say that 20 AGC might be a little small (and fast) for that location; not necessarily because it won't carry the normal load, but because it might blow first for say, a short in the wiring to the wipers.  IMO it would be preferable for the fuse in the fuse block to blow first, if the short is after it.  That way, the engine keeps running and you can limp home without the wipers (and brake lights) if a replacement fuse is not available.  If you want to keep the existing holder, then I'd suggest an MDL 20 or even 25 instead of AGC 20.  And a spare taped somewhere nearby.

Randall