[TR] TR3 Cam Bearings - Epilogue

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Sat Jan 25 14:46:35 MST 2014

     A few days ago I posted about cam bearings not fitting. The rear and
middle bearing went right in, but the front wouldn't match up the holes. I
actually tweaked a bearing (from BPNW) and ordered new bearings from Moss.
They sent the same "made in India" bearings and I couldn't make them match up
no matter what I did. I probably put the bearing in at least a dozen times. I
ended up elongating a hole to make it line up.
     I went looking for
something in my shop and found that in my spare parts I had a set of made in
England AE cam bearings. I pulled one in the front bearing and voila! it lined
right up first try and the holes matched perfectly. I may get ambitious and
compare the bearings to see what the difference is.
     The holes that
matched up were the oval hole for the setscrew and the small hole for the oil
gallery.

     I have a Triumph Renown with a Standard Vanguard engine and a
friend with two +4 Flat Rad Morgans with SV engines. Next time I get into a SV
engine I am going to improve my cam bearing puller so it sleeves all the way
through the cam bearing so it pulls it straight.
     FWIW,

     -Bill
Brewer