[TR] Long post: Cam failure - recommendations: need to select

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Sun Jan 19 19:02:19 MST 2014

One thing to look at is the tappets / lifters.  In my TR-4, one time
I got "performance tappets" that the manufacturer had knocked the
sharp edge off with what looked like a bench grinder.  The problem is
that they put too big a chamfer on the edge facing the cam and cut
into the area that the cam rides on (I have a cam that uses the
majority of the surface of the lifter).  Since the edge of the
surface was hitting the cam, it wiped out the cam very nicely.

Tony