[TR] Off Topic Code Reader

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jan 17 08:41:46 MST 2014

> Some of you may be in the same boat, I am thinking of buying
> my own code reader,

Something to look for, in addition to pulling trouble codes, is the ability to read "diagnostic addresses".  These will let you see
things like sensor readings, that aren't necessarily flagged as errors but may still be helpful in troubleshooting.

For example, when the heater quit delivering any heat, the DA for the heater door showed that it was fully closed.  The door
actuator had failed.  As Doug noted, on my 95 Buick there is a way to pull the DAs (for the entire car, not just the heater),
through the heater controls.

Sorry I can't help with the reader.  I use a full-blown CAN analyzer at work, but I've never bothered to hook it to the car.

Randall