[TR] Replacing wiper motor brushes

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Thu Feb 27 19:11:42 MST 2014

On 2/27/2014 7:44 PM, Dave Connitt wrote:
> I have two questions;
> 1. What would be a good way to secure the brushes to the little arms that hold
> them?

Isn't there a spring that holds the brush holder against the armature?
That should capture the brush between the holder and the commutator.

A photo would help - I found this drawing
http://www.revingtontr.com/CatalogueImages/TR4A/AL.jpg  which hint that
the grooved face goes to the side, but I can't see why - is there a
guide on that side of the holder?

> 2. Would I be able to use a small piece of emory cloth or very fine sandpaper
> wrapped around the armature to seat in the brushes?

Better to use a Pink pearl eraser to clean up the commutator.  The
brushes are soft and will seat themselves pretty quickly.  I wouldn't
mess with sandpaper, and especially not emery cloth, unless you can
clean it very thoroughly uner magnification afterwards, to make sure
you've got all the grit out.  Make sure none of the segments are
bridged, and you should be good to go.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

---