[TR] Replacing wiper motor brushes

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Thu Feb 27 17:44:06 MST 2014

List,
Hopefully someone out there has done this before but here goes..
I just recently tried my wiper motor for the first time in my TR4A and it
worked fine until I installed the wiper blades (or should I say blade) when I
discovered the motor didn't have enough muscle to work the blade.
I checked the force required to run the cable back and forth and it seems to
be about 5 pounds which is supposed to be normal?
Anyway, looking at what else could be my problem, I noticed that the brushes
in the motor were pretty worn so I ordered a new set from TRF and I got the
brushes. Five sides are smooth and one has little slots cut in it which are
about .020 - .030 deep.
I have two questions;
1. What would be a good way to secure the brushes to the little arms that hold
them?
     Needs to be conductive....
2. Would I be able to use a small piece of emory cloth or very fine sandpaper
wrapped around the armature to seat in the brushes?

Thanks!
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a