[TR] Door Window Replacement

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Feb 25 16:41:06 MST 2014

Going back to my sales training days, the idea of plastic sheeting inside
the doors was to try and attract moisture from the inside of the painted
door skin to the plastic sheet itself. The theory was with the movement of
the car and the slamming of the door, moisture droplets would drop to the
door bottom and out of the drain holes. Being Standard-Triumph, this
pre-supposed said holes hadn't been blocked by paint or pre-paint body
dipping. Must say I never remember seeing results of lab tests as to whether
the theory actually worked - or if it happened to be someone's 'good idea'
and let's give it a whirl.

I do recall a number of people who worked on the Body Trim line were
enthusiastic gardeners and the heavier gauge plastic was found to make a
good shelter for their greenhouses at home in terms of frost protection and
it was claimed to be just the thing for early tomatoes! As you gentlemen so
often say - go figure:)

Jonmac