[TR] Transmission question

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Wed Feb 5 05:39:51 MST 2014

Listers - A CTR member is looking for an automatic transmission for a
project. His description appears below. If you can help him, please respond
directly to Justin Mercier.  justin.mercier at gmail.com

Thanks.

Alex Thomson

Connecticut Triumph Register

What I need ideally is a BW T35 automatic transmission from a triumph
2000/2500/2.5pi, but from what I've been told, if I get myself the bell
housing from a triumph saloon T35 that I should be able to swap the
bell-housing with another T35 (say from a stag, TR7, Volvo, old postal
truck, etc) and use that the torque converter and transmission itself should
be interchangeable so I may be able to use any BW 35 if I can source a
bellhousing from elsewhere.

I've got a flexplate & ring gear from a triumph 2000 on the way from
England, but I haven't had luck finding one of these transmissions in the
states. From a 2000/2500/2.5pi They're common in England, Australia, new
zeland, etc, but I've had no luck finding someone willing to toss one on a
crate and get it shipped over =(

So if anyone knows of one laying around, or has one (perhaps even not from a
triumph saloon) I'm now back to square one in finding the transmission for
my car.

I know that I'll have to machine an adapter from the TR6 engine crank shaft
to the flexplate, and make a new transmission mount, and have a new
driveshaft made (the transmission is shorter than the stock tr6
transmission) but I really really want to get my roadster on the road this
spring, so any and all help is appreciated!