[TR] TR4 engine in a TR3

tfansher at comcast.net tfansher at comcast.net
Mon Feb 3 16:40:15 MST 2014

Hey, Terry, glad you're back.  The intake manifold on the 4's is longer which with the longer H6 carbs impinges ont the inner fender. If you fit a TR3 intake, there's no issue. If you use the TR4 intake, use can use the HS6 carbs from the TR6 and they are shorter, but you have to rig up a different choke set up. I did the change on my TR3A and probably wouldn't do it again.  Not worth the hassle. The thought was that with the longer intake you have more time for mixing of the "gases" - well, that might work if the TR3 carb would work, but the HS6's are shorter so the net gain of length is minimal at best....just my two cents worth.
If you just want another engine, then rebuild the engine and switch out the manifolds if and when you need to.
Tom

----- Original Message -----From: terryrs at comcast.netTo: triumphs at autox.team.netSent: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 23:30:33 -0000 (UTC)Subject: [TR] TR4 engine in a TR3

Hi everyone. Been awhile since I've been on the list. Can someone remind me of the difference in size of the 4 engine in a 3 engine bay? I seem to remember the 4's head causes the carbs to take more space?Looking to rebuild a spare engine for my 3.

Thanks!Terry Smith (TS 58667)New Hampshire