[TR] rear main seal packing

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Sun Feb 2 10:43:43 MST 2014

Tony, First what is your expectation as it relates to leaks? How much is too
much? The reason I ask is that they all leak some and the reasons can be
varied. Dripping from the bell housing as it is the lowest point might not
be caused by the rear seal but rather just the spot where the oil drips
from. I'd check a few other things before pulling the pan and attempting to
remove the rear bearing block. In my opinion trying this from under the car
is ill advised and you will likely end up the same or worse than what you
have now. You may do more harm than good too as getting that block
positioned properly from under the engine might be difficult. I also don't
know how it would affect the viton seal position as I've never used that
system to date. I will if I ever do another engine rebuild.

I'd look for other sources of leaking oil. The valve cover is the first spot
to check at the rear of the cover. In addition I'd check the PVC System and
clean it to assure it's relieving any block pressure. The oil pan is almost
impossible to seal as well and that oil will be blown back and drip from the
low point of the transmission.

To convince yourself spray some brake clean over the pan and dry real well,
same with the back of the engine behind the valve cover and take a good long
high speed drive of several miles at highway speeds then check those areas
you cleaned and see if there is any oil showing.

I'd be interested in your progress.
I met you when you bought the car from Wil at the TRF SP a few years ago.

JVV