[TR] rear main seal packing

Anthony Cascio allegrorover at mac.com
Sat Feb 1 19:23:16 MST 2014

OK folks,
Here's the question of the hour....
Can I remove the rear main cap and replace the packing on a TR4A by just
taking the oil pan off ??????
I have oil leaking out of the hole in the bottom of the bell housing, and I
know it's engine oil not tranny oil,
the car has the Vyton seal in it and I hope NOT to have to take the engine and
tranny out to correct this leak.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Now I know Triumphs leak oil normally, but just after an engine build is heart
breaking.
I have searched the manual, but it's not clear to me if I can remove the cap
and hopefully get the old packing out and insert the new.
I did read recently the suggestion about soaking the new packing with the
Permatex #3 aviation, and I'll see if I can find that, suggestions on that
would be appreciated as well.
For that matter volunteers to help with this is also welcome!!!!!!! just
kidding
Thanks

Tony Cascio
58 TR3A