[TR] E-Type Prices Drop?

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 21:36:03 MDT 2014

Here is some detail on those great deals.  The first two are available
(along with some other great deals) from Gateway Motors
<http://www.gateway-motors.com/inventory.php?cId=&sId=24> in Chicago.

The beige one
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1967-Jaguar-E_Type-1637822.xhtml?conversationId=89883
sold
on eBay last month for $71,000 -- eBay listing
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-JAGUAR-XKE-SERIES-1-COVERED-HEADLIGHT-ROASTER-NUMBERS-MATCHING-MUST-SEE-/111406196349?nma=true&si=TucqlCVAoaDYO29%252BDwq1fWrzuGA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557>
-- now Gateway is offering it for $29,000.

The red one
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1969-Jaguar-E_Type-1568202.xhtml?conversation
<http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1969-Jaguar-E_Type-1568202.xhtml?conversationId=89883>
sold
on eBay for $50,000 in March -- eBay listing
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Signal-Red-Jaguar-E-Type-XKE-Series-II-Convertible-4-2L-6-Cyl-4-Spd-Manual-/141228993746?nma=true&si=TucqlCVAoaDYO29%252BDwq1fWrzuGA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557>
-- now gateway is selling it for $22,800.

Their 'buy high - sell low' business model is either remarkably generous or
a scam.

The third one
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1969-Jaguar-XK_E-1698307.xhtml?conversationId=89883
appears to be a legitimate sale as it is offered by the Beverly Hills Car
Club -- the ad
<http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1969-jaguar-xke-roadster-c-3353.htm> --
and they are a real business.

I don't think AutoTrader itself is a scam -- it appears to lift ads from
sellers sites.  Since Gateway motors lists those first two cars they pick
them up and repeat the ad & price.

If you do become interested in an E-Type this site xkedata.com is a great
resource where detail about many Jaguars can be sourced using the chassis
number.

Geo