[TR] Problems getting my TR4A running again

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 11:24:15 MDT 2014

---- Dave Connitt <dconnitt at fuse.net> wrote:
> TeriAnn,
> As I understand it, TDC is just TDC untill I attach the camshaft right?

That's right (tho I'm not TeriAnn).

My money is on the intake manifold not being seated or no fuel in the carbs; but a double-check of cam & ignition timing wouldn't hurt.  Remove the #1 plug, rocker cover and the distributor cap, then slowly turn the engine forward until the distributor tries to fire #1 (points start to open with rotor pointing at where #1 terminal should be.

Now look down the #1 plug hole to see the top of the piston.  It should be close enough to see, but if you can't tell for sure, stick a soda straw or similar down the hole.  You should be able to feel the top of the piston very close to the hole.  Then look at the valves.  Both valves for #1 should be loose and have the recommended lash.  Both valves for #4 should be open, by roughly the same amount.

If those conditions are met, then the cam and ignition timing are close enough for it to at least try to run.  A common mistake is to reassemble the front pulley wrong, which puts the TDC mark in the wrong place.

Randall