[TR] TR4A overdrive transmission

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sun Aug 24 07:47:44 MDT 2014

Creig, always an interesting topic with differing opinions, factory
recommends 90w gear oil, however, most 90w off the shelves these days is GL5
spec, you want GL4, which you can still get at NAPA stores I think, most
don't stock it but can get it.  The GL5 has additives that can cause
corrosion in the brass components of the gearbox.

Craig Esposito at Quantum mechanics recommends a straight 30w non detergent
motor oil, cheap and usually available at the chain stores or tractor/farm
supply stores

Many swear by Redline synthetic MT90, I haven't tried it, but have also read
that it will find any leaks you have in the tranny or overdrive and pour out
faster than conventional oil, those are expensive leaks, so I have never
tried it.

Some people run multi-weight motor oils, though this article recommends
against it.

I have tried all except the MT90, in my opinion both the gear oil and
non-detergent motor oil work fine, and I detected no noticeable difference
in shift quality or overdrive engagement, I also used to put in multi-weight
motor oil, I remember my old TR4A would drop out of O/D on a long run on a
hot day sometimes, and am wondering if it was from cavitation or foaming as
described in this article:  http://www.quantumechanics.com/qm-htm/topic1.htm
(scroll down).  I think I may have been running multi-weight 20w-50 at the
time.

Greg Lemon