[TR] Speedi-Sleeve for TR3

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Fri Aug 15 21:08:40 MDT 2014

     You know, my life is kind of a blur right now and I might not be thinking
straight. I put in a harmonic balancer when I rebuilt the engine. So the seal
should be riding on the pulley hub and not the crank? That's probably the
issue. If so, I might go back in and pull the pulley off and install the
original crank pulley that I was using before.
     Maybe I knocked the seal
loose installing the harmonic dampener. I doubt it though.
     Thanks for
your help.

     -Bill

On Friday, August 15, 2014 2:55 PM, Randall
<tr3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

---- William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a at att.net>
wrote:
>      I rebuilt my TR3 engine with a new used crank. I polished up
the area of
> the crank where the front seal goes

I'm confused, Bill.  The
front seal doesn't ride on the crank at all; instead it rides on the hub for
the pulley.

I've put a Speedi-sleeve on the hub, no problem.  First one I
picked out of the catalog by size; but later I noticed that they actually have
the TR3 (or maybe it was TR4, same part) listed by application.  The
application listing was for a shorter sleeve, but the longer one worked fine
for me.  All done with the crank still in the engine and engine still in the
car.

It shouldn't be possible to leak oil through the center of the hub,
since the whole stack of extension, hub, gear and shims should be clamped
firmly against the cheek of the front crank throw by the dog bolt.  But it
wouldn't hurt to put a thin smear of Hylomar on the back surface of the hub
when you install it.  I wouldn't use RTV though, as it will get squeezed out
of the joint and I don't like strings of RTV running around loose inside the
engine.  Hylomar will stay put.

Randall