[TR] Speedi-Sleeve for TR3

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 15 15:55:20 MDT 2014

---- William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a at att.net> wrote:
>      I rebuilt my TR3 engine with a new used crank. I polished up the area of
> the crank where the front seal goes

I'm confused, Bill.  The front seal doesn't ride on the crank at all; instead it rides on the hub for the pulley.

I've put a Speedi-sleeve on the hub, no problem.  First one I picked out of the catalog by size; but later I noticed that they actually have the TR3 (or maybe it was TR4, same part) listed by application.  The application listing was for a shorter sleeve, but the longer one worked fine for me.  All done with the crank still in the engine and engine still in the car.

It shouldn't be possible to leak oil through the center of the hub, since the whole stack of extension, hub, gear and shims should be clamped firmly against the cheek of the front crank throw by the dog bolt.  But it wouldn't hurt to put a thin smear of Hylomar on the back surface of the hub when you install it.  I wouldn't use RTV though, as it will get squeezed out of the joint and I don't like strings of RTV running around loose inside the engine.  Hylomar will stay put.

Randall