[TR] TR4A Sputtering

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 15 16:03:22 MDT 2014

---- Brian Thomas <thomasb at queensu.ca> wrote:

> Another problem I'm having is that once the car gets up to operating
> temperature, the idle will not return to 800 rpm unless the gas pedal is
> goosed.  I've been told my throttle shafts are worn and the carbs are likely
> sucking air around them.  Is this the likely cause?

Seems unlikely to me.  IMO it's more likely that the worn shafts (and bushings/housings) are letting the throttle plates drag on the bottom of the bore, blocking the throttle from closing fully when it returns slowly.  "Goosing" the pedal is like slamming a door that sticks.

Sorry, not much help with the other problems.  I saturated the fiberboard air deflector (on my former TR3A) with rattle-can paint (which took a lot more coats than I thought it would, 6 or 7 as I recall) and it seemed to hold up well.  But I don't drive in the rain much, so doesn't prove anything.

I've seen several people fashion replacements from thin aluminum, but of course that doesn't look original (though it does look nice).

Randall