[TR] TR4A Sputtering

Kinderlehrer kinderlehrer at comcast.net
Fri Aug 15 15:16:30 MDT 2014

Sounds familiar. I had the same plug fouling issue - I checked the floats,
cleaned the float valves, reset the timing, checked the mixture, full tune
up (points, condenser - don't forget that - cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil),
added a heat shield, replaced the fuel filter, put an electric fuel pump
in-line. Finally pulled the carbs and sent them off to be rebuilt.

I tried the normal test of spraying starter fluid around the carburetor
shafts, but got no increase in rpms. However there was some wiggle in the
shaft so I figured it had to be done anyway. Butterflys were replaced in the
rebuild, so that could have been an issue also.

The carbs are on their way back to me so I don't know for sure that will
cure the problem, but I am hopeful.

Bob