[TR] Valve adjustments tractor engine

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Thu Apr 10 20:31:06 MDT 2014

I think that "the other" method refers to barring the engine over until you
see valve rock (exhaust closing, intake opening) on a cylinder, and then
adjusting valves on the mating cylinder. Numbers 1 and 4 are mating
cylinders as are  2 and 3 for most four cylinder engines that have a firing
order of 1-3-4-2. Some Ford tractor engines had a firing order of 1-2-4-3,
but the "mating cylinders", the ones where the pistons go up and down
together, remain the same. My high school shop students loved that
description. You will never go wrong with getting a cylinder at TDC
Compression and then adjusting the valves for that cylinder. Using
distributor rotor position can help with that, assuming the engine is in
running condition. John Deere used to publish charts that told you which
valves to adjust when # 1 cylinder was at TDC Compression and then which
ones to adjust when #1 was at TDC Exhaust. That saves a lot of time when
barring the engine over, especially a 6 cylinder diesel that has tremendous
compression. The only exception to the rule of adjusting valves at TDC
Compression would be small gas engines that have an automatic compression
release. On those, check clearance well into the power stroke.

Alex Thomson