[TR] Diff Pinion Seal

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Sep 11 18:45:11 MDT 2013

> Does anyone know whether he can just put the flange back and do up the nut
> or he we opened up a can of worms?

Should be no problem at all on a TR4.  Just torque it to the book value (85-100 ftlb) and put in a new cotter pin.  If the shims were right before, they will still be right afterwards.  (The problem units are later TR6, where the shims were replaced by a single-use collapsible spacer.)

However, I find it odd that your mechanic says the surface has to be refinished before installing a Speedi-sleeve.  The whole point of the sleeve is that the surface does not need to be perfect.  He may be right about not needed the sleeve after the linishing (depends on how deep the mark is), but I wouldn't do both.

Randall