[TR] TR3 water pump question

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Oct 30 17:24:43 MDT 2013

That is a drain hole for what coolant weeps past the seal.  The hole lets
it drain away before hitting the bearing.  If not for that hole the leaked
coolant would wash off the bearing lub and cause premature bearing failure.

Check the shaft diameter.  My TR3 water pump went awry due to a sloppy fit
between the pump shaft and the pulley.  When I mic'd the shaft and hole
there was a good .030 clearance.  The key kept things tight for a while but then
it wore down and the pulley started to wobble and rub on the bolts and pump
housing.

The pump was new, the pulley was old (although I cannot vouch for it being
original).

Dave