[TR] Hi Torque Starters - Problems

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 4 14:16:58 MDT 2013

John,

Never had the need. The starter on the 58 is a bullet original sans new
brushes and turning down the commutator. The starter on the 63 4 is
original with new brushes only. As far as I can tell the starter on the
72 6 is original.

Since I dont start in winter, no need for high torque. Cars usually
start on the 2nd or 3rd turn when cold.

I would look at getting a rebuilt Lucas starter. I cant understand how
moisture could get at the solenoid or other parts. Must be a poor
design. I have never seen corrosion in any Lucas starter I have
serviced. I see TR4 type starters on Ebay from time to time.

Bob