[TR] Towing a Spitfire

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 13:46:44 MST 2013

Hi, Jack

Silly old me. I thought the idea was to tow the car a few blocks,
as in a breakdown and to get home - not halfway across the country?

If going
further, I'd obviously put the thing on a trailer. Then its handbrake on,
locked in first gear and ratchet straps on a crossover fashion around each
roadwheel. This is the only way you can legally tow a car in the UK and the
combined weight of the car and trailer cannot exceed 85% of the towing vehicle
- even with electric or over-run trailer brakes. A failure to do this will
inevitably having flashing blue lights in your rearview mirror and a dayglo
chequer coloured car with "POLITE" plastered down each door inviting you to
stop PDQ.

Cheers, John