[TR] Info. on Towing a Spitfire

Bud R levilevi at comcast.net
Wed Nov 27 10:47:38 MST 2013

Thanks to all for providing input on the subject of towing a Spitfire.
Here's some take away points.

1) Attaching a tow bar

The bumper is too flimsy to attach to. And I did find in the Haynes
manual where they say to NOT attach a tow rope to the bumper.
I will need to fabricate some brackets to attach to the frame
extensions and then attach the tow bar brackets to those.

2) Transmission considerations

This was somewhat of a mixed bag.
The majority said the transmission would suffer if oil wasn't being
flung onto the gears.
I got no reports of anyone having an actual problem with a
transmission not being lubricated when flat towing. But maybe I just
haven't heard from those folks.
I had some folks say they'd flat towed British cars many miles without
an issue. In some cases they'd flat towed all over the country.
Some said that since the gears weren't under load that the lubrication
from the oil sloshing around in the case was enough.
Some recommended a Remco driveshaft disconnect coupling (there are
very few others out there). The cost of one including modifying the
driveshaft would be much more than a replacement Spit tranny.
Many said just trailer it or use a car dolly with the car backwards
and the steering wheel strapped down. But I'm lazy and looking for the
quick easy way of just  reducing the process to hooking/unhooking the
two bolts on the tow bar at the car.
My idea of locking the clutch in the disengaged position with the
gearbox in 4th gear was met with distain and suspicion.  Too many
things (clutch MC or slave) could fail and cause problems.

I'm not going to be doing cross country trips towing a Spitfire  just
from Denver to the mountains and back, maybe 150 miles total. I have a
trailer for the race car of course but I just don't want to deal with
the weight, length, loading, unloading, for such short trips and in
camp grounds when we do side trips.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions. I'm still
contemplating what I'll do but now know options and consequences.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)