[TR] TR4A - Dizzy Drive Gear End Float

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 22:51:50 MST 2013

> What happens if it is too small and the gear cannot rise
> enough?

Apparently in practice, it usually just wears quickly until there is "enough".  But in theory it could bind and tear things up.

> Too large
> and the gear rises too high?

Again in theory, affecting ignition timing.  But the thrust from the camshaft tries to force the gear downwards, and I assume the
force to turn the oil pump would keep it from bouncing around much even if it did manage to hit a resonant frequency.

> I'm wondering if the float might not be correct, causing
> enough vertical
> variance to create a timing issue.

Seems unlikely to me; but if so, you should be able to see the timing change with a timing light.

Randall