[TR] Bad Engine Oil Leak

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Fri May 31 22:41:12 MDT 2013

Here's a follow up to my findings. If you recall I had a bad oil leak on my
TR4A because of internal pressure.

What I found is that all PVC valves are not equal. I got a generic one from
O'Reily's. You know the one that "rattles"? Suck from the vacuum side and it
flows. Blow from the input side it doesn't.

The factory one is sporadic at best. It opens quickly and closes even
quicker. I have two of them and they both act the same.

So I installed the generic and have driven it to work the last couple of
days. 15 miles each way. Not one drop of oil has leaked. Not one. I'm in
shock.

While I haven't played with it yet I believe that the factory version has
too strong a spring not allowing the vacuum to open the valve as needed to
relieve the pressure. Not sure if this is a lot issue or by design.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper with a LBC that doesn't leave it's mark.

Johnnie