[TR] rear leaf springs

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Wed May 29 11:35:48 MDT 2013

Hello Teriann and others,
The tape idea seams like a good plan, but I think you might be creating a possible squish problem with a relatively soft material between the leafs. I would think that the tape can collapse a bit under the axle and between the U-bolts. This might be evident if the U-bolts can be further tightened later on. I've read that even a thick coat of paint between the leafs can cause problems and should be avoided. Google leaf spring rebuilding. I disassemble the springs on my TR3, cleaned them, repainted the leafs separately with a light coat of paint then scuffed them with a Scotch Brite pad where they contact each other, applied a little bit of high pressure grease between the leafs and reassemble them. I also dressed the sharp edge at the end of each leaf with a sanding disc to limit the gouging that occurs. That's my 2 cents. I think they are working beautifully. I also installed the ARE axle locating kit, this is a great product.

Dave H.