[TR] oil pan plug

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun May 26 19:51:34 MDT 2013

> Newly overhauled tr-3.

Early car with straight threads on the plug, or later with tapered?  Makes a
difference ...
Moss gives the change point as TS18901E, but of course someone may have
changed the pan at some point.  And everyone knows "They are all the same"
<g>

IF it is the tapered variety, and it is leaking like that, some careful
examination is in order as there may be a crack somewhere.  I'd also want to
use a tap to clean up the threads.  Ordinary plumbers "PTFE pipe paste" is
what I prefer to help tapered threads seal.  You might want to consider a
magnetic plug instead of the drain valve.

If you have the straight threads, I suspect the fiber washer is missing or
broken.  It should seal with no help, but a little Hylomar wouldn't hurt
anything.

If all else fails, your FLAPS should have a "repair" plug that will work.  I
ran with one of the expanding rubber plugs for many years, and other than
being a bit harder to remove for oil changes, it worked out fine.

-- Randall