[TR] Changing from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Fluif

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon May 6 12:55:32 MDT 2013

---- bill_beecher at flash.net wrote:
> He was told to flush alcohol throught the system afer draining the DOT3 to
> help rid any dampness in the system, but I wondered if it will damage any of
> the rubber bits.

Methanol is supposed to be safe for the rubber bits.  Denatured is a bit of a guess, as they won't tell you what they put in to make it poisonous.

> Also, I don't see how we can get 100% of the DOT3 out, there is bound to be
> some residue, will there be a serious compatibility issue with a slight mix
> of the different types?

No serious compatibility issue.  They won't actually mix, the DOT 3 stays separate from the DOT 5.  If you take cylinders apart later, you may find a pocket of black goo in the very bottom of the cylinder, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Randall