[TR] Tr4a miata seats

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Mon May 6 07:10:17 MDT 2013

I fitted the 1997 Miata seats into my 1967 (not 1867) TR4A over the weekend,

The Patton adapters worked well, though one of the rear passenger side feet on
the tracks seems to have been modified compared to the tracks that were used
for the design of the adapters. A little modification of the track made the
adapter fit properly.

The seating position is excellent. Seated height is no higher than the
original seats and with the seat back in a comfortable position, the view
through the windshield is actually somewhat below that with the original
seats. It is very nice to have upper back support. It is MUCH more
comfortable.

It is noticeable that the seats are firmer than the originals. With the crude
TR4A suspension, it becomes apparent that the rubber diaphragm and the softer
foams of the original seat served to absorb some of the suspension harshness.
On very rough pavement there are occasionally significant jolts transmitted by
the seat that seemed a little less apparent with the original seats. However,
I think that is a very worthwhile trade-off for the overall comfort of the
high back.B  All in all I can strongly recommend the Miata seat conversion!

Now to get the headrest beaker systems installed.