[TR] Installing a electric radiator fan in a TR4A

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 29 09:35:32 MDT 2013

> I was just wondering if there is a preference as to mounting
> the fan as a pusher or puller?

My preference is as a puller.  The fan really only covers the cooling
requirements near idle, it doesn't move nearly enough air to cool the engine
at higher power.  Having the fan in front of the radiator seems to interfere
to some extent with natural air flow at higher speeds.  For example, when
the original fan on my Stag failed, I tried a temporary electric as a
pusher, which made the engine more prone to overheat at freeway speeds (with
or without the fan running).

I run a 12" Hayden as a puller on my TR3 and it works very well.  I made my
own fan eliminator from a cast iron pipe cap, but several vendors sell them
ready made.

Randall