[TR] Wheel bearing grease packer

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Wed Mar 27 16:27:46 MDT 2013

I do have a bearing packer - it looks like two flying saucers, one bigger
than the other. It also has been in the cabinet, unused for 5 years, even
though we re-did all of the wheel bearings on at least 4 hay wagons last
year. Of course, I was also trying to teach a new student employee how to
pack bearings by hand. One of the biggest challenges in a multi-use shop is
to keep lubrication tools clean and free of any contaminants. I sometimes
worry that a bearing packer can get contaminated by a blast of gritty wind.
Another issue is that unless you can buy the same type of grease from year
to year, you may end up mixing different types of greases in the packer
unless it is fully cleaned each time it is used. With the availability of
inexpensive latex shop gloves, I find that packing bearings by hand is
really not an issue as far as contact with grease goes. That's something you
think about as time advances. It would be interesting to see what factories
use for bearing packing.

Alex Thomson