[TR] TR3 Starter Problem

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 17 11:47:14 MDT 2013

> When I did the restoration 10 years ago, I swapped out for a
> gear reduction starter.

Are you sure you got the right starter for the flywheel you have?  Your
description sounds exactly like what happens if you mate a starter designed
for the early flywheel to a later flywheel.  It works at first, but only the
very tips of the gear teeth are touching.  Soon the teeth wear down and it
starts to slip.

When this happened to a local club member (TR2 motor had a later flywheel,
go figure), he was able to get the starter vendor to supply the pinion for
the later flywheel.  Apparently it's an easy swap.

It's not impossible that the linkage to move the pinion gear is at fault,
but unlikely IMO.  The solenoid has to move before power is applied to the
motor, so if the motor is turning, the solenoid did its job.

-- Randall